103 Monastery Street
Sitka, AK 99835
Alaska's oldest federally designated park was established in 1910 to commemorate the 1804 Battle of Sitka. All that remains of this last major conflict between Europeans and Alaska Natives is the site of the Tlingit Fort and battlefield, located within this scenic 113 acre park in a temperate rain forest. Southeast Alaska totem poles and a temperate rain forest setting combine to provide spectacular scenery along the park's coastal trail. The trail circles back along Indian River to the visitor center. Another loop trail continues across the Indian River footbridge past the Memorial to the Russian Midshipmen who died in the Battle of Sitka. The park's story continues at the Russian Bishop's House, one of three surviving examples of Russian colonial architecture in North America. This original 1843 log structure conveys the legacy of Russian America through exhibits, refurbished Bishop's living quarters and lavish icons in the Chapel of the Annunciation. Click on the In-Depth link to visit our expanded web pages.
Map + Directions
Plane - Sitka is located on Baranof Island on Alaska's southeastern panhandle. Sitka can be reached only by air or sea. Commercial airlines fly directly from Seattle, Juneau and Anchorage. The Park is located at the south end of Lincoln Street, approximately one-fourth mile from downtown Sitka.
Public Transportation - Sitka is also a port of call for ferries on the Alaska Marine Highway System.